Fortunately I don't drink or get up to mischief so this is of little concern, but I did rather enjoy the little film there. particularly the kitty in the sink.
I completely agree with your video!! It's true that many employers search your name and I always worry about the whole Facebook thing. I actually worry about how I even look to people who know me, never mind potential employers and the rest of the world! However, I have searched my name and I rarely pop up. I do not necessarily believe this is a bad thing, although I understand why it can be. Online I work under a pseudonym and therefore appreciate when my real name does not come up. It makes me feel as though I have a little bit of privacy left. After what you said about the government legislation allowing them to keep a record of all emails, it has slightly freaked me out. Also your video was really good!!
Claire excellent clip and sooooo true! My first blog post was a note of caution about exactly this. A colleague of mine lost a PR pitch after the potential new clients decided to do their research of their own. They googled PR agency and her name. Unfortunately a picture of her wearing her beach attire was not what they expected to see, this was made worse by the fact that the clients represented a very conservative Islamic bank. My colleague then spent hours trying to work out how to remove the photo, including contacting google, unfortunately all to no avail.
I am very careful about my online reputation, I have a facebook account that I use for personal purposes with the privacy settings set at high something I would definitely advise this. I also google my name once in a while to check nothing untoward pops up! Currently my online reputation is ok although I am not sure I would have faired as well if the likes of Facebook etc had been around when I was at uni first time round! ;-)
Great video, it really highlights how careful you have to be in your online world. It certainly has lead me to consider how I use Facebook and Twitter and whether my online persona is in keeping with the image I hope I deliver in reality. You certainly don't want know your boss or potential boss to know the ins and outs of your personal life but if you are going to put this sort of image online they are free to check it, where do the privacy lines start?
Thanks for all your comments. I wouldn't have even thought aboutthe fact that photos from the beach could offend possible employers, there is definitely a lesson in that!
Not sure how private is private in social media and how much employers can attain by using this system that can allegedly look through your webpages - it is all a bit weird and scary! Just be careful on what you say, I suppose!
Great video!! And you're completely right in advising us to be carefully! However, if we would not join all these platforms because we are too afraid of it, it makes a bad impression on our future bosses as well - as we are in the PR industry! Thus, I try to use facebook and other networks to improve my reputation and leave an overall good impression! And the times of drunken party photos were fortunately before I created my profiles, hehe!!
Fortunately I don't drink or get up to mischief so this is of little concern, but I did rather enjoy the little film there. particularly the kitty in the sink.
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with your video!! It's true that many employers search your name and I always worry about the whole Facebook thing. I actually worry about how I even look to people who know me, never mind potential employers and the rest of the world!
ReplyDeleteHowever, I have searched my name and I rarely pop up. I do not necessarily believe this is a bad thing, although I understand why it can be. Online I work under a pseudonym and therefore appreciate when my real name does not come up. It makes me feel as though I have a little bit of privacy left. After what you said about the government legislation allowing them to keep a record of all emails, it has slightly freaked me out.
Also your video was really good!!
Claire excellent clip and sooooo true! My first blog post was a note of caution about exactly this. A colleague of mine lost a PR pitch after the potential new clients decided to do their research of their own. They googled PR agency and her name. Unfortunately a picture of her wearing her beach attire was not what they expected to see, this was made worse by the fact that the clients represented a very conservative Islamic bank. My colleague then spent hours trying to work out how to remove the photo, including contacting google, unfortunately all to no avail.
ReplyDeleteI am very careful about my online reputation, I have a facebook account that I use for personal purposes with the privacy settings set at high something I would definitely advise this. I also google my name once in a while to check nothing untoward pops up! Currently my online reputation is ok although I am not sure I would have faired as well if the likes of Facebook etc had been around when I was at uni first time round! ;-)
Great video, it really highlights how careful you have to be in your online world. It certainly has lead me to consider how I use Facebook and Twitter and whether my online persona is in keeping with the image I hope I deliver in reality. You certainly don't want know your boss or potential boss to know the ins and outs of your personal life but if you are going to put this sort of image online they are free to check it, where do the privacy lines start?
ReplyDeleteThanks for all your comments. I wouldn't have even thought aboutthe fact that photos from the beach could offend possible employers, there is definitely a lesson in that!
ReplyDeleteNot sure how private is private in social media and how much employers can attain by using this system that can allegedly look through your webpages - it is all a bit weird and scary! Just be careful on what you say, I suppose!
Great video!! And you're completely right in advising us to be carefully! However, if we would not join all these platforms because we are too afraid of it, it makes a bad impression on our future bosses as well - as we are in the PR industry! Thus, I try to use facebook and other networks to improve my reputation and leave an overall good impression! And the times of drunken party photos were fortunately before I created my profiles, hehe!!
ReplyDeleteDefinitely good advice Mali; try and keep those pictures off the internet!
ReplyDelete